K+S Potash Canada (KSPC) is part of the K+S Group, with headquarters in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; a solution potash mine and production facility located near Moose Jaw and Regina, Saskatchewan; and a potash handling and storage facility operated in partnership with Pacific Coast Terminals in Port Moody, British Columbia. We acknowledge that our Saskatchewan offices and facilities are located on Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 land. These are the territories of the Cree, Salteaux and Sioux, and the homeland of the Métis people. Our Port Moody operation is located on the land of the Coast Salish peoples, including the Kwikwetlam, Tsleil-Waututh, Squamish and Musqueam First Nations. Our organization is committed to having long lasting and deeply rooted relationships with Indigenous people and communities, and is proud to provide job and business opportunities for local people and businesses.
Health & Safety Specialist
As the Health & Safety Specialist for the KSPC team, you will provide expertise and support to operations and specifically projects by facilitating the identification of health and safety hazards and controls to eliminate or mitigate these risks. The Health and Safety Specialist develops, facilitates and oversees the implementation of specific plans, procedures and processes to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
The successful candidate will:
- Act as a proactive change agent to create an ownership based safety culture, focused on trust and accountability.
- Interface with operations and projects employees and contractors to ensure that Health and Safety standards are adhered to at the Bethune Mine Site.
- In the event of emergencies or equipment failures, act as a technical resource, as part of the responding team.
- Develop, review and implement safe work plans, ensuring company and employee exposure to risks are either eliminated or minimized.
- Conduct HS audits and inspect the application and effectiveness of policies, procedures and standards in the field. Develop audit and inspection recommendations and assist in the development of corrective action plans, in consultation with management and stakeholders.
- Lead, participate and review investigations of incidents and ensure effective investigations are conducted and corrective and preventative actions are applied.
- Assist and coach Contract Owners on requirements for contractor mobilization and management processes.
- Coach Contract Owners on the monitoring of health and safety practices and procedures.
- Assist in the development, implementation and facilitation of the HS training materials and programs.
- Maintain knowledge of current workplace safety strategies, priorities, trends and technologies.
- Coach, train and monitor health and safety related performance of the site.
Our company values and recognizes the diversity of the workforce and encourages individuals with the equivalent combination of education and work experience. The ideal candidate will have:
- Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety or Construction Safety Officer
- 8+ years of applied work experience focusing in Health & Safety Management, preferably in a mining or industrial construction project environment.
- Extensive experience managing rigging, lifting and elevated work projects is essential.
- Experience in project management including developing work scopes and execution plans for contractors and consultants
- Understanding of applicable health and safety regulations
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholder groups
- Understanding of the Mines regulations, OH&S Act/regulations and other applicable codes and standards
- Must be authorized to legally work in Canada
- Will be required to work staggered shifts including weekends
- Would require on-call and weekends in the event of emergencies or maintenance outage.
Successful candidates may be entitled to relocation assistance.
Employment is subject to successfully completing KSPC’s pre-employment checks which may include criminal record check, education verification, functional fitness evaluation and drug & alcohol testing. Additionally, employment is subject to being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 including showing proof of vaccination will be required, with minimal exceptions, unless prohibited by applicable law.
To ensure consideration for this role, please apply by Jan 3, 2021.
We are committed to building an inclusive and representative workforce, including Indigenous people, visible minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.
By living our common K+S values across all our locations in the world: We are optimistic about our future, we are collaborative in building it and with our entrepreneurial spirit, we aim to dig deeper and reach higher. We remain agile in an ever-changing world. We are innovative, turning obstacles into opportunities – and we do it all in ways that are safe and sustainable, protecting future generations. You can look forward to:
Good People and Great Culture
Have the opportunity to be part of a team committed to building a new and diverse culture. At KSPC we are growing our operations, delivering exciting new opportunities, and investing heavily in the communities where we live and work.
Challenge and Growth
We support your growth potential (support of professional development) and recognition of performance.
Our total target compensation is competitive and benchmarked to the market. We have a Pay for Performance philosophy that includes two components, fixed (base) pay and short term incentive (bonus) that rewards employees for their contributions towards corporate, team and individual successes.
A comprehensive, employer paid, benefits program which includes Life, Disability, Health and Dental as well as competitive Retirement benefits, Employee and Family Assistance Program PLUS great extras such as, paid work time to help out in your Community (volunteer with a sports team or a charity of your choice) and company money to allocate to your favourite charity! A Health Spending Account for extras, like more expensive glasses, and the Wellness Account covers recreational items, like your park camping fees, hunting or fishing license, and can help pay for your gym membership.